Monday, October 17, 2011

Coconut Dream Bars

I love this recipe. I first saw it on the Martha Stewart Show. They were endorsing the cookbook The Sweeter Side of Amy's Bread. After making 3 amazing recipes from the cookbook (getting the recipes off Martha Stewart's website) I decided to buy the cookbook for myself when I found it on sale. The first recipe I made from the cookbook was the Coconut Dream Bars. They are truly that good. I wanted to take an amazing picture of the finished product. I was to hasty at cutting them because I wanted to eat one while the chocolate was still gooey. So my pictures aren't the best. Check out the recipe and my tip on how you can let your toddler help make these cookies! Enjoy!



Gooey Coconut Dream Bars

Ingredients

  • For the Crust

    • 3 cups graham cracker crumbs (from about 20 crackers)
    • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
    • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
  • For the Topping

    • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    • 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
    • 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees with a rack in the center of oven. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and line with parchment paper; set aside.
  2. To make the crust: In a medium bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and salt. Pour mixture into prepared pan and press into bottom of pan using your fingertips.
  3. To make the topping: In another medium bowl, mix together chocolate chips and coconut; sprinkle evenly over crust.
  4. Pour condensed milk evenly over coconut and chips, covering the entire surface. Transfer to oven and bake, rotating pan halfway through baking, making sure the milk does not get too brown or bubble over in the pan, 26 to 32 minutes.
  5. Transfer baking pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 20 squares. Serve immediately, or wrap each bar tightly with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your encouraging words!