Sunday, June 26, 2011

Container Gardening

Let's face it. No matter how hard I try, the hard truth is I live in the middle of a densly populated city. I can almost reach out and touch my neighbors house from my bedroom window if I tried hard enough. If that wasn't bad enough my yard is all sand. I guess that is the price you pay for living so close to the beach, but it doesn't help when it comes to growing things!!!! It took me quiet a few years before I perfected the way to get just about anything to grow in my backyard. I fill just about anything with some dirt (I do have to buy the dirt from the store...since my backyard is all sand) and plant me some seeds. I am sure with some time I will make my container garden look a little better, but for now I am just happy to be growing something!!!!!

In this "container" I have basil, oregano,cilantro, a sunflower and a zenia.
This pot was my first attempt, and as you see it worked out well!


Savannah "helping"

Planting peppers and 4 o'clock seeds.

A not so happy little girl. She was trying to dump out
my precious dirt.

Happy Sunflower! Growing it for the chickens :0)

Also, check out my good friends post about container gardening here.

4 comments:

  1. I have always appreciated that even when obstacles come, you don't just sit down and pout. You figure a way out. Great job with those container plants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you've gotten around your sandy soil problem! Have you tried raised beds? I also live in Georgia but my problem is my soil is red clay so I use raised beds and it works well. I guess they're like a huge containers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Manuela - raised beds are like giant containers and an instant way to get good soil. Though, it looks like you are doing pretty good on your own. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your encouraging words!