Saturday, July 16, 2011

Fresh Peach Slices--Frozen

I love peaches, I love peaches even more when they are frozen!!! As a kid, my mom would always buy bulk peaches when in season and freeze them in big batches. I liked eating them when they were still frozen but found it difficult when frozen in large batches. So I came up with this idea...its cheap, easy, healthy and tastes great!!!!

Free stone peaches
Sugar (keeps them from turning brown)

Directions:
Slice your peaces into thin slices, no need to peel them...just make sure they are washed. Place slices on a wax paper (or parchment paper) lined cookie tray. Sprinkle with sugar. Place tray into freezer (make sure you have an empty shelf ready to go!) Once peaches are frozen, remove from tray and place into ziploc bag. Get all the air out of the bag and place in freezer again. This makes a wonderful...healthy snack during the summer. You can enjoy them one at a time or ten at a time! ENJOY!

Note: You can do the same thing with fresh mangos. Did it today and what a healthy cold treat!!!




 




8 comments:

  1. Georgia + Peaches = an amazing combination! I tried it just for your, friend, and WOW! They are really good. You almost feel guilty while eating them...as if they are really not healthy. Haha..Thanks again, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum! I just canned some peaches the other day (a big quart and pint, wow) but this looks like a very refreshing way to enjoy them. And I'm glad to know that sugar keeps them from turning brown. I soaked my peaches in orange juice 'cause I didn't have a lemon on hand. (Of course, I'm cleaning the fridge today and I found a lemon.)
    My sister lives in Warner Robbins, Georgia. I am not jealous of the heat but I am jealous of fresh-picked peaches, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! I've done this with blueberries but never thought about freezing individual peaches. Thanks for the tip. Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great idea. I am going to try this.

    I would love for you to share this mommy solution on my meme!

    http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2011/07/the-mommy-club-share-your-resources-and-solutions/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, these look so refreshing! I love frozen fruit, but I've never frozen my own, I just buy the bags. Now I know how to start with peaches! Thanks for sharing this!
    Happily following your blog! I would love it if you would stop by mine and say hi!
    boredombustingmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. How long will your slices keep in the freezer without turning brown, and have you had any problems with them turning brown while defrosting in the fridge? One last question before I go to the orchard to buy a few bushels, how much sugar would you estimate you use per pound, or per jellyroll pan of slices?

    Thank you so much!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, thanks so much for commenting on my blog! I have never defrosted the peaches, I freeze them in slice form because I actually eat them frozen (kinda like a popsicle). To do a whole bunch frozen (this is how my mom would do it) you blanch the peaces, slice them and then get ascorbic acid (fancy word for vitamin c) and put on them. That keeps them from turning brown during the thawing process. As for how much sugar...i would say 1/4 cup sugar per jellyroll pan. like i said though i don't thaw them, i eat them frozen! hope this helps!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your encouraging words!