Friday, July 16, 2010

Blueberry Apple Crisp - Frugal recipe for moms who are breastfeeding...

This is one of my favorite recipes!! I found it very helpful when trying to cut dairy out of my diet because my baby had a milk protein allergy. Not only was it better for my baby to continue breastfeeding, but it was MUCH more economical option because the formula she needed cost $25.00 a can!! You can check out my other post on breastfeeding a baby with a dairy allergy here!




Blueberry Apple Crisp


1 cup butter (substitute butter flavored crisco 1cup + 2 Tbs water)

2 1/4 cup flour

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar

8 apples (granny smith) peeled chopped apples

1 T lemon juice

2 cups blueberries

2 T flour

1/2 t cinnamon

1/2 t salt

1/2 cup rolled oats


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3 quart baking dish. In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, 1/3 cup sugar and salt. Cut in butter (or using a mixer, mix in crisco) Mix in rolled oats and set aside. In baking dish, mix together blueberries, apples, lemon juice and remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 2 T flour. Top with flour/oat mixture. Bake until juices are bubbling and topping is brown. About 50 minutes.




This is very good right out of the oven, out of the refrigerator, or warmed up for breakfast the next morning!!!

This is linked to Ultimate Recipe Swap.























3 comments:

  1. I appreciate how you showed the dairy-free version and the regular version. Georgia, you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well thank you!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate your comment :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not combined blueberries and apples before - what a great idea! Crisps are wonderful this time of year (and I like eating the leftovers for breakfast too!).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your encouraging words!