Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Georgia's Pasta Sauce Recipe

Most people wouldn't share their sauce recipe. It is usually a treasured secret kept within the family. I want to share this with you because I want you to realize how cheap and easy it is to make your own homemade pasta sauce! This recipe has been perfected by me over the years and this is the first time I have even typed it out. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!

Georgia's Pasta Sauce

2 cans crushed tomatoes (I ONLY use Cento tomatoes, the other brands don't compare)
1 medium onion finely chopped (I use my food processor)
1/2 sweet red bell pepper finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves peeled and minced
1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp oregano (dried or fresh)
1/2 cup fresh cut basil divided
1 pork bone
1 lb Italian sausage links
Parmesan cheese for garnish

In a large sauce pan (or electric skillet) saute the onion, red pepper, garlic and pepper flakes until translucent and fragrant. Add the crushed tomatoes. Add salt, sugar, oregano, and 1/4 cup fresh basil. Add your pork bone. Take your Italian sausage, take off the casing and chop into 1-2 inch pieces. Add into sauce. I use the Italian sausage instead of meatballs, however you can always add meatballs. Place a tight lid on pan and let simmer for at least 2-3 hours stirring occasionally.  About 15 minutes before serving add the remaining 1/4 cup fresh basil. Be sure to taste and make sure it is seasoned to your liking. Remove pork bone. Serve over hot pasta with some Parmesan cheese for garnish. Can be canned or frozen for future use.


I use the food processor to choppe the onions
and garlic. Once the sauce is cooked, you would
don't see or feel the onion in the sauce.

I like using an electic skillet because my
sauce can cook at an even temp for a long
time.

This is my pork bone. It is a pork neck bone.
I paid $0.95 for it. It makes ALL the difference
in the world. Without this, your sauce will
not taste like mine. You can not omit this.
You can cut the meat off and add it to the
sauce or just throw it away. Up to you!


This is linked to Good Cheap Eats, Works for Me Wednesday, Foodie Fridays

3 comments:

  1. This recipe looks amazing! I am always looking for a new sauce recipe! I will definitely be trying this one. I linked to you from What's on your plate. I'm so glad I did! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chili pepper! I never thought of trying that!

    My sauce is a little different every time, depending on what I have on hand, so I have an ongoing collection of spaghetti sauce recipes to explain how the improvising is done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello
    I found you through Tammy's recipes blog. I tried this recipe tonight and it was wonderful!! Thanks for sharing it. I had never made Spaghetti sauce from scratch, thinking it was a lot of work, but I got a lot of fresh ingredients and it.was.worth.it. mmmmmm I enjoyed the process as much as the sauce. Thanks again.
    Martha B.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your encouraging words!