Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Giving back by breastfeeding

Breastfeeding

You ask how I can consider my choice to breastfeed as a post for Give Back Thursday. Well, I truly feel that I am giving my baby the best possible start I can by breastfeeding. I know you can read endless blogs and websites about why breast is best but I'm writing this post so my readers can see why I give breast milk to my babies.

  • Bonding and attachment. Breastfeeding gives you the most special bond with your newborn. By breastfeeding you and your newborn form firm attachment to his/her mommy.
  • Decrease risk of SIDS and severity and length of illness and infection.
  • Decrease risk of obesity in childhood and possibly even adulthood.
  • Nutritious. No matter what the can says, they can not match what is in breast milk. When scientist have spun down breast milk to analyze it they have never been able to fully replicate it. They have also found that the components of your breast milk change day by day, made specifically for your baby that day.
  • Comforting. Nothing comforts a baby like being at mommas breast. Babies desire to suck is very strong and it sooths and comforts them. Don't let anyone tell you that you are spoiling your baby by putting them to the breast to often. That is where they belong and what comforts them the most.
Whatever you do, don't give up on your baby. I see so many new mothers who struggle with first time breastfeeding and want to just give up. I struggled with my firstborn who was 5 weeks early and had difficulty latching. I would get so frustrated that she wouldn't latch correctly. I consulted with a lactation consultant and never gave up. With the help of supportive friends and family she finally became a pro and didn't wean until she was 16 months. If you ever have any questions concerning breastfeeding, please feel free to ask me and I will try my best to help you or direct you to the resource that can help you.








4 comments:

  1. Hi there!
    Yes, I am still hosting Farmgirl Friday! Would love to have you! I usually post late Thursday evenings so folks can start linking up early!
    Hope to see you there!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't agree more with you! Hope all children get there best nutrition from there mothers. Best post about breastfeeding. My mom used to say she breastfeed me for about 3 years and since i feel comfort in her bond, she used to allow me to lay on her lap to suck her breast even after breastfeeding stops so that i would sleep sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! You also won't need to worry about what's in the formula and if it will be recalled. But yes, never give up as well. My brother and his wife had their first baby and their baby WOULD NOT breastfeed, at all. So his wife ended up pumping milk and my brother placed it into this tiny tube (their lactation consultant gave it to them) and dripped it into the babies mouth. They did this for maybe 2 weeks and finally the baby started nursing and she could stop pumping the milk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggled with getting my first two to breastfeed, but was so glad when they finally latched. Now, with my third, I have been told I need to wean him (at just over a year) so I can get a medical procedure done (which I don't feel is an urgent one). I am so reluctant to as I truly believe breastfeeding is a gift and want to offer it to my youngest as long as he needs it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your encouraging words!